Blue Remnant?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=313.8157&dec=-51.7183&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=16&const

It is almost gone in DR10

6 Likes

My guess is this is a supernova. If you look in the Single Exposures, it is visible in g-band exposures 229272 and 230044 (2013-09-01 and 2013-09-03), but not in later images.

If you look through the DR10 single exposures and include the ones we cut (Legacy Survey Sky Browser) then in the weight images you can see it in other bands taken in early 2013-09.

cheers,
dustin

5 Likes

Nice find. the transient Is unreported. not in the TNS, NED, SIMBAD. Too far south for PanSTARRS.

4 Likes

Cheers to you as well! Im gonna celebrate! I did look at the single exposures and saw its absence in some of the images which lead me to believe strongly supernova, but I thought this is too good to be true. And since ive been painting Novas I gotta put it on canvas!

2 Likes

Thank you! It is a pleasure and an honor to find it! It is a beautiful galaxy as well!

3 Likes

Cool congrats

3 Likes

well done buddy :+1::champagne:

3 Likes

I popped a cork on a bottle of Cooks champagne last night. Drank til I was good n buzzed. Fell asleep early. Lol.

3 Likes

don’t blame you bud ~ I’ve celebrated a few finds myself with a tipple (or two) :beers:

3 Likes

This candidate is reportable - eg. it’s a scientific discovery, so we need your full name.

3 Likes

Joshua Adam Moore. Iowa City, Iowa. Found it 2 days after I turned 44. I would like to add. I would not have known about the survey without Anton Petrov’s show.

3 Likes

You might like @astrobiscuit on YouTube as well. Entertaining home-telescope show.

2 Likes

Since I made a “big mistake” on my first report, I had not been an expert in calculating.

1 Like

What do you mean?

I overestimated the magnitude of the supernova. I used the flux measurement.

2 Likes

I know a few guys from the SN candidate hunt thread. Rick @Rick_N and Ine @Ine. I think they can report if they like.

3 Likes