Interesting object

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=24.5142&dec=-21.9303&layer=ls-dr10&zoom=16&const

3 Likes

Nice find! Already in literature - very cool. There are a bunch of things in this area to see including 3 supernovae as well as tons of lensing! There is also a blazar (AGN with a relativistic jet point towards us that look much brighter due to this). Very nice area!

Blazar:

View here

3 Likes

Hubble has taken this picture of it! It looks like there’s two jellyfish galaxies with it! This galaxy cluster has everything! :smiley:
MACS J0138.0-2155 24.5157, -21.9250
VIEW image with this link MAST: HST Preview

5 Likes

Wow! There’s even a 3rd just above the centre of lensing (though likely interacting). Amazing area!

Now here is an RGB image!

7 Likes

The orange lens(?) just above the central galaxy has a weird orientation for a lens doesn’t it?

Not an arc centered on the centre of the lensing mass

1 Like

Cluster lenses can have way weirder lensed shapes because of all the substructure

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen some twitter examples lately,IIRC from JWST images, but not like this, to me it looks like it’s turned 90 degrees fromwhat it ‘should be’

But indeed probably due to cluster substructures, or some missing mass we’re not seeing :wink:

Oh, I didn’t see that one arc that’s coming radially out from the central galaxy – that’s indeed weird!!

2 Likes

Nice; the lensed galaxies are distinctly apparent in unWISE W1/W2

3 Likes

My brain can’t compute how this would work :brain: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Crazy, it’s the same galaxy lensed multiple times including a multiply lensed supernova including predicted new instances of that same supernova for the future.

Also the radially lensed galaxy image seems to go all the way to the center of the central cluster galaxy

1 Like

That’s a very cool one.