Wide field JWST?

Hello,
I’ve seen some wide field pictures from jwst.
Will there be enough in the future to make a layer out of them here?
Thanks

Hi,
I doubt it. JWST individual exposures are only a few arcminutes in width, and it is just not designed to survey large areas. An all-sky viewer just isn’t a very good platform to show its images.
cheers,
dustin

4 Likes

Thank you!

@dstn

What about the data from the JWST surveys CEERS and JADES? Could they be used to form layers in legacy so that we can browse aorund?

Thanks

2 Likes

CEERS covers 100 square arcminutes and I think JADES is about 230 square arc minutes. The sky is of order 1*10^8 square arc minutes so I think there is the same problem sadly. It’s a very small survey and so putting it on a whole sky survey website isn’t the best place for it. I imagine it is also fairly data heavy and so it would be a disproportionate amount of time spent on putting up a very small survey.

As I stated before in GZ, I have already found a CEERS viewer here.

2 Likes

Thank you.

@dstn have you seen the JWST COSMOS web survey?
Caltech
I downloaded the files but I’m not sure what to use to view the survey.

1 Like

Quickly poking around on that web page I don’t see any actual data files for download… I see they’ve put out a big JPEG view (nice).

1 Like

I can’t open the files fsr but if you click on “public data release” then go to the link are these photos only?

Oh yeah, there it is :slight_smile: Looks like they have produced one mosaiced image per band/filter. These are in FITS image format. You can open those with SAOImage DS9, or convert to other image formats with Fits Liberator (among others).
eg if you grab https://exchg.calet.org/cosmosweb-public/DR0.2/NIRCam/mosaic_nircam_f115w_COSMOS-Web_60mas_v0_2_i2d.fits.gz
and view it in ds9 with
ds9 mosaic_nircam_f115w_COSMOS-Web_60mas_v0_2_i2d.fits -scale limits 0 0.2
you’ll get something like this:

2 Likes

Cool thanks Dustin!

1 Like