Photographer Spends 12 Years, 1250 Hours, Exposing Photo of Milky Way

5 Likes

Wow! That is a long time!

1 Like

Here’s mine that I shot, nowhere near the same amount of integration time or focal range. However, I tried.

Let me know what you think!

2 Likes

This is really beautiful! Great image you made. I know quite a bit about supernovae but unfortunately nothing about astro photography. Although I would love to learn. :slightly_smiling_face: Is it difficult to learn?

Ine :stars::dizzy:

3 Likes

@Definitearticle that is really awesome- great work!

1 Like

It’s a beautiful sky region, very good! I like it!

1 Like

It’s one of the hardest things I’ve ever gotten involved in actually. It literally took me years to be able to make a decent image. Luckily I went to school for computer graphics so the various imaging software has always been easy for me to get down. But the mechanics of it is the most difficult part. Just the accuracy involved with having your mount perfectly polar aligned and having the RA speed on point so you accurately compensate for Earth’s rotation. so much is involved. And I also eventually modified my own DSLR to shoot full spectrum, which is what I shot this image with. It’s a 6 panel mosaic, with about 10 x 3 min exposures for each panel.

1 Like

Hey thanks you guys, I’m glad you like it and I really appreciate the compliments

2 Likes

Jupiter! This image is really awesome! :star_struck: I observe planets with my two telescopes. Jupiter an its moons is my favorite next to Mars and Saturn.

Ine :stars::dizzy:

Very nice :face_with_monocle:

I dig observing saturn. Its so alive and active, you can totally tell that the rings are smashing around it even from a billion miles away.

1 Like

Heres a better one of Jupiter.

1 Like

I started astrophotography this winter, and found out that you need a lot of very expensive equipment to make it slightly more convenient to get good photos. I have a small, cheap telescope, every part of which is at least partially broken, which makes it a lot worse. Telescopes aren’t too hard to get, but even the cheapest decent mounts are very expensive. It is also very expensive to get a good low-noise camera. If you already have a DSLR then you are in luck. If you can’t see more than 20 stars in your night sky then your area is too light polluted, and you should go somewhere else. https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/ helps. anything yellow, green, blue, or gray is good.

Edit: this is for DSOs