No SIMBAD entry for an object

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=171.7264&dec=16.8525&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=16

How do I know if an object was not discovered before? I don’t think having any SIMBAD entry is sufficient enough. Since there are lots of objects with no entry.

Thanks in advance
Sasha

1 Like

Hi,

It is detected by Gaia and has a measured proper motion and parallax – so, I fairly nearby star :slight_smile:

Nearly everything you can see by eye has been recorded in a catalog, but that doesn’t mean that anyone has looked at them or thought about them before!

cheers,
dustin

PS, welcome :slight_smile:

Thank you dustin.
Just one more question. On this example you mentioned that it was detected by Gaia.
How I can find out this information about other objects, if and by whom o they were discovered before?

Best
Sasha

Hi Sasha,

In the sky viewer, if you look under the “Imaging catalogs” menu, you’ll see the Gaia (DR2 and EDR3) layers. Those will show all Gaia catalog objects (most bright objects). There’s also the SDSS (Sloan Digital Sky Survey) catalog, and our own Legacy Surveys catalog – which should include basically everything you can see by eye in these images.

cheers,
dustin

Thank you dustin.