Name for new star?

Just found this “star”(at least i think its one) hiding behind another star. I looked it up on Simbad and it wasnt recorded yet. If no one else has any record of it, I might be the first to discover it? Anyway, just making this thread so we can official record and workshop some names for it maybe. I’m thinking…Boomaris? Maybe Akea? (a name to refer to someone who is lonely, but doesnt mind it) idk. let me know what you think

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=208.4508&dec=69.2256&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=15

1 Like

SIMBAD is designed for brighter objects. If you look it up in the LegacySurveys DR9 catalog, it described the object, and designated it by the data release, the brick, and object ID.

1 Like

Sadly naming and cataloging all stars we can see would take far too long - there are simply too many

2 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile: That star is listed in the Gaia-EDR3 catalog also (in the sky viewer: under Imaging Catalogs → Gaia EDR3 – this has precise measurements of the positions and motions of something like 1.7 billion stars!), so it has the romantic name of ID 1674533256798326016 :slight_smile:

(But you’re right that being in the glare of a much brighter nearby star does cause us to miss some stars!)

cheers,
dustin

2 Likes