Merging super clusters. Wow

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=194.9575&dec=27.9455&layer=sdss&zoom=11

2 Likes

That’s just 2 galaxies merging. those other galaxies are in the background. You can tell because they appear much smaller.

I would not say so.

The larger galaxies are:
NGC 4889 spectroscopic redshift = 0.02150
NGC 4874 spectroscopic redshift = 0.02391

The galaxy cluster is:
ACO 1656 spectroscopic redshift = 0.0234

In wikipedia you can read about Abell 1656, also called the Coma Cluster:
“The central region is dominated by two supergiant elliptical galaxies: NGC 4874 and NGC 4889.”

At the Chandra x-ray website you can also read:
“Coma is an unusual galaxy cluster because it contains not one, but two giant elliptical galaxies near its center. These two giant elliptical galaxies are probably the vestiges from each of the two largest clusters that merged with Coma in the past. The researchers also uncovered other signs of past collisions and mergers in the data.”

2 Likes

wait so all the small galaxies are normal-sized, and the large ones are absolutely gigantic?

Seems like it. I was also surprised.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what my thoughts on it were. I mean I’ve heard about Abell 1656 but had no clue that that’s what I was looking at here. The logic behind the title of this topic was, just through pure observation you can clearly see the trajectory of the smaller galaxies as they are definitely in an orbit around the two larger ellipticals. Each being the center of gravity of their own cluster. Sure this is basically one grouping now, but you can tell they were separate at one point in time.

1 Like