Merging galaxies

2 galaxies merging in front of another? or 3 of them merging?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=132.1082&dec=4.7161&layer=hsc-dr3&zoom=16

2 Likes

three…

May be a spectacular sight to see if we live in this galaxy.

2 Likes

Is it possible to get a better view of this from any other survey?

1 Like

The viewer you have it on currently (HSC) is probably the most high-resolution viewer for something at that distance that is on the site right now. Whether or not there will be a higher-res version soon is a question for Dustin, although I doubt it given how large the data from such a survey would be, if one even exists

Oh, neat, DESI actually took spectra of three of these galaxies! Not public yet, unfortunately…

1 Like

About the resolution question – as Niko says, HSC is about the best survey around for resolution for a large-area survey. HSC uses the Subaru telescope on Mauna Kea, the best site for ground-based optical astronomy on Earth. Getting better would require adaptive optics or going to space, both of which, at least for existing telescopes, mean small fields-of-view, so unless someone specifically requested, say, a Hubble observation of this galaxy, then it’s very unlikely that Hubble has observed it by chance.

Near-future space telescopes including Euclid (launching this year!) and the Nancy Grace Roman telescope (launching '26?) are doing large-area, high-resolution imaging surveys. Euclid, for example, has a 6 x 6 array of 4k x 4k chips, and its pixels are 0.1 arcsecond, vs 0.05 for the ACS camera on HST. Euclid will observe something like 15,000 square degrees. But it’s a single broad filter – no colour information! (Euclid does also have a near-infrared camera, but at 0.3"/pixel).

Roman, on the other hand, has infrared-sensitive chips (H4RG mer-cad), 0.11" pixels with many filters… but will observe a considerably smaller field (~2000 square degrees).

cheers,
dustin

4 Likes

Thanks for so much of amazing information. I’m new to this. I’m gonna look things up and maybe keep an eye on it for any future observation. :slight_smile:

0.1 arcsecond pixels - wow that’s going to be good fun. Thank you for the info. When would the data for this become public?

I’m not sure… according to this ratty image, first data release would be something like 2 years after mission start, which is probably a few months after launch (after getting to L2 & commissioning)
https://www.euclid.caltech.edu/page/data-release-timeline

1 Like

Ah, thank you. Not sure what it is with researchers and releasing graphics done on Microsoft Paint though.

Looks like Nancy Grace will have better mirror protection than JWST. I think NASA has been surprised with the number of meteoroid hits the telescope mirrors have taken at L2.
Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 3.59.51 PM

1 Like