Is this a supernova and a red jet? Or abberations?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=164.9161&dec=19.3741&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=14

Not sure about the SN, but the red line is an artifact. Cosmic ray hit or some such.

As there’s nothing to be seen in the g band image taken a minute and a half later (than the r band image in which it is showing), I suppose the green blob is only an artifact. Maybe a cosmic ray hitting directly at the sensor. Looks a lot like a supernova, though.

well, wait a second, since aren’t the bands mixed? What band do supernova usually show up in?

Since, it isn’t like this showed up in the G band in the first place. It showed up in the R band.
Observed 2018-03-16

The other R band image was taken a month before, so that would constrain the time it could show, do they usually show up in all bands? Kind of hard to find that information online either. Maybe our supernova expert @Ine can chime in!

Supernovae spectrums are quite wide and should be visible in all bands.

DECAm bandpass filters:

Most of the supernovae I’ve found have been strongest in the G band.

1 Like

Thanks @spcgoat this is really wonderful information. Okay so those are the six different spectra for different types of supernova. That is interesting. Also you have provided a bandfilter. So does that multiply the top spectrums by the filter and then bucket it to get an absolute magnitude per band? I know this is basic astronomy, maybe not the right forum, but you guys are all I got. Also, so when we see the images in the “Single Exposure” stuff, its in black and white - split by band, so are those images created using the magnitude (collected, multipled by that bandpass, and then convoluted somehow according to the sensitivities of our eyes ?). Or do I not understand these parts correctly? So DECam, I take it this was used to measure the acceleration of the universe with Type 1A supernovas (white dwarfs) ?

1 Like

Happy to help. I haven’t fully internalized the methods used in calibrating and normalizing the data, but in the Overview of the DESI Legacy Imaging Surveys paper, forwards from page 9: 6.2. Dynamic Observing are detailed explanations of the techniques used. I’ll have to dig deeper into this myself, too, so thanks for asking the questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely not a #supernova. It is an #artifact. Look at those squary edges.

Ine :stars::dizzy:

1 Like

Haha thanks guys