Is that "purple" an artefact?

What is purple?

1 Like

I think that may be a supernova!

Check out the individual exposures:

2 Likes

Wow! :blush:
Does that happen often that so find something like that?

Wow!
Good find!
Way to go!

1 Like

As Dustin said, it’s a supernova, and it also seems to be an unreported one. (Not listed in https://www.wis-tns.org/) Supernovae are somewhat rare but since there are hundreds of millions (or even billions) of galaxies in the visible universe, they seem to happen all the time. Finding an unreported one from survey data is pretty rare though, so that’s a nice find. I haven’t seen one so purple before either. The positive exposures range from 2014-12-06 to 2014-12-24 so I’d call it a hit.

The supernova’s apparent magnitudes are listed in the Legacy Surveys DR9 catalog but its host galaxy doesn’t seem to have an SDSS footprint, so unfortunately I’m not able to calculate its absolute magnitude. Absolute magnitude (or the host galaxy) is not necessary for reporting but it would confirm it’s really a supernova.

I could report this for you but for that I’d need your real name. You’d be then listed as the Reporter of the finding.

2 Likes

Wow… just wow.
(i wrote you a pm)

Alright, reported as AT 2014gw.

2 Likes

unbelievable…thank you very much!

Congrats Mono- how cool is that?

1 Like

I don’t know either, I’m exhausted. That’s really really cool and I’ve been fascinated by space since my childhood. That there might even be the opportunity to rummage through such a fantastic picture and then to find something great - that’s actually unimaginable. Many thanks also to the makers of this platform and to dustin.

By the way, I changed my username because Monosquirrel is actually just my gamer name, so don’t be surprised.

2 Likes