Interesting object

https://decaps.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=341.3620&dec=0.5011&layer=hsc-dr2&zoom=16&const

7 Likes

Weird. Very funky.

1 Like

Woah. That looks like some crazy lensing. Not in SUGoHI either. Looks so far away too… Incredible spot!

3 Likes

Absolutely nowhere. Is it definitely lensing do you think?

1 Like

Thats a very good sign! Weird they would have mussed such an obvious one

Not in any lens catalogs in VizieR??

1 Like

Yeah its not in any lensing catalogs I can see. Its hard to imagine what else it could be other than lensing. May be worth sending along to a researcher as full circle lenses like this aren’t all that common.

2 Likes

Same result. No lensing catalog anywhere has this. I wonder if ML algorithms tend to focus on lensing events of a dark and arc-like shape and miss the unusually dense/circular ones. Looks like possible lensing in HSC but not so much in Legacy.

2 Likes

Weird change to the SIMBAD look-up system directly from the viewer. Coordinate input system isn’t a nice one

1 Like

Wow! Beauty! I have forwarded this one to some of my strong-lens-hunting colleagues. Will let you know of any responses!
cheers,
dustin

4 Likes

much appreciated :+1: couldn’t believe my eyes when I first spotted it…checked DR9 and DR10 and it was very difficult to distinguish

3 Likes

Very nice spot. Waiting for Ed’s Lens to be in SIMBAD :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Ed-In-The-Couds and @dstn,

Incredible system! It doesn’t appear to be in our papers (Huang+ 2020, 2021; Storfer+ 2022: NeuraLens), or in Shu+ 2022 ([2201.11135] HOLISMOKES. VIII. High-redshift, strong-lens search in the Hyper Suprime-Cam Subaru Strategic Program) who specifically searched in HSC. I will double check with our team and our full catalog of known systems b/c in the Legacy Surveys, the image looks a bit familiar (and there’re other lens searches in HSC), but then some of these systems do look similar – so it could very well be new. I’ll get back to you!

-Xiaosheng Huang

5 Likes

@ Ed-In-The-Couds congrats!
Wonder when we publish the candidate!

I am going to talk to an expert on gravitational lensed systems on Galaxy Zoo - Claude about this particular candidate.

2 Likes

Okay. I have just sent a message to Claude (who is the expert on Galaxy Zoo) and I may forward it to you if he/she has thoughts.

Cheers!

1 Like

“HOLISMOKES”- that is awesome. Congrats @Ed-In-The-Couds

2 Likes

cheers bud…can’t believe (if confirned, of course) a Lancashire lad from Ribbleton Preston could spot something so amazing

1 Like

Congrats - amazing spot. Your persistence pays off - more posts and more effort at finding these than anyone else here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This lens candidate was in my findings over HSC pdr2.
I posted it on Noember 26th 2021, in discussion of Galaxy Zoo Talk > Science > Possible gravitational lens
link : Zooniverse

Cheers
Claude

2 Likes

Amazing, Thanks for the first notice in Zooniverse, I forgot that a 7 months ago way before your find, one of my friends - Ryan - found this and we chatted with them which was unreferenced.

But in the end, we all could publish this as a new candidate as well, maybe the newest object in the SUGOHI catalogs.

1 Like

And the new post from Ed…