Interesting object

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=338.2376&dec=-58.1311&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=15&ngc&const

2 Likes

Nice find!

1 Like

It looks straight, rather than arc shaped.

It’s in literature - seems like there is some slight curvature. I wouldn’t be 100% sure myself but I defer to literature :slight_smile:

I detect a slight arc, should have posted the DR10 were the curve is easier to see.

1 Like

It was published as a candidate, but nothing is proven until there is a spectrum taken, which costs money, so scientists will only do it if it is really good.

According to the data, this candidate was found by RNA algorithm, which means Red Near Anything, and RM, which I think mean Looking Around Clusters of Red Galaxies.

DESJ2232–5807 RNA, RedM 6 8.06 ± 0.27
ShieldSquare Captcha on page 11

So it is on a list, but not proven.

I don’t see any curvature. So even if it is vaguely a lensed arc, there is not enough curve to fit a model.

To me, it could be a foreground galaxy fragment from some old collision,

I know it’s on a list but all we are saying here is that it could be a lens. The other user “found” it and posted it as what could be a lens and I was just trying to be nice by saying that yes, it could be a lens as there is somewhat of a chance due to its listing and as there are some signs that it could be. Maybe I should have put it is a candidate in the literature.

Thank you for the helpful links.

Yeah, sorry about that, Comments can sound so dry, unless I sprinkle them with :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem - I realise mine sounded the same so sorry about that. Genuinely just tried to clear up the confusion and thank you for the helpful links - I have learnt a lot from them :smile:

Have you seen these? :thinking:
Apologies in advance if you have already looked at them

Galaxy Colour and Redshift Chart which shows what galaxies look like as we look further and further away, Click to get spectrum

Learn Astrophysics - redshift and spectral charts
Easy. Really.

Animations of galaxy formation and evolution

Ringed Galaxy Classification

Galaxy Zoo website – AboutThe Science behind the Site

SDSS tutorials for beginners (this is from another sky survey, but it is still useful)
Easy Basic Science Projects star color, charts
Advanced
Advanced Science Projects Spectral types, Hertzsprung-Russell diagrams

**Redshift Gallery: Quasars ** Compare the spectra of quasars, from “close” to the edge of the Universe.
https://classic.sdss.org/gallery/gal_zqso.html

Galaxies and the Universe – Astrophysics Course Notes

Our own Dr Bill Keel’s lecture notes

h ttps://pages.astronomy.ua.edu/keel/galaxies/

Gravitational lenses are obvious, and are usually blue or red.

Zooite Guide to Strong Gravitational Lenses
Zooniverse

54 Strong Gravitational Lens candidates in DECaLS, the DESI DECam Legacy Survey

Amazing gravitational lens observed with HST

SpaceWarps: Education

Zooniverse

SpaceWarps: Frequently Asked Questions

The story of a gravitational lens

I had to inactivate the links http to get some of them to appear on this page.

Some but not all! thank you very much!!!