Interesting object

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=335.2607&dec=6.5652&layer=decals-dr7&zoom=13

2 Likes

Very interesting find! Anyone know what this is? Almost looks comet-ish.

1 Like

@jim_c That’s a dark nebula.

Ah okay thanks

Any catalog denomination?

1 Like

Yes, it’s HD 211985

1 Like

@Travaglino Unfortunately there is none.

That is neither the nebula, nor the star that happens to be in its foreground in the OP’s picture

1 Like

This seems to be the name of the nearby brilliant star, HPM star in Simbad.

1 Like

Ahh, is the cloud named HD 211985? That’s the nearest object in Simbad (sorry for late reply)

1 Like

HD probably indicates the “Henry Draper” catalog of stars, so the star, not the cloud.

1 Like

HD 211985 is this star:

1 Like

Okay thanks tom.
Is there a reason why I click Look up in SIMBAD and it takes me to the star HD 211855 instead of the cloud and I see the cloud is unnamed? Or the cloud just passed right over while the Legacy Survey telescope is taking an image at the same time.

When looking in SIMBAD always check if you have the right object, SIMBAD does not have all the objects catalogued.

You can check visually, or when using coordinates such as the link here you should look at ‘distance from…’ , usually in arcsecs. If there is a large distance between your coordinates and the object center coordinates it is not the one you are searching for (/ not in SIMBAD)

There are other (catalog) databases available such as VizieR and the Transient Name Server

Small comment – this is a cloud of dust in the Milky Way, not a water cloud in the Earth’s atmosphere :slight_smile: You can also see it in the “HSC” and “SDSS” image layers, which were taken with different telescopes (HSC = Hyper-Suprime Cam, using Subaru telescope on Maunakea in Hawaii; SDSS = Sloan Digital Sky Survey, using the Sloan telescope at Apache Point, New Mexico, USA).
cheers,
dustin

Simbad’s default search radius is 2 arcminutes. Since HD 211855 is the only simbad object within 2 arcminutes of the cloud, thats the result the search returns.

The cloud isnt within our atmosphere - it’s interstellar gas/dust. So its not a case of it ‘passing over’ when the image was taken - its been there for a long time.

This cloud is a so called molecular cloud. It is quite common.

Ine :stars::dizzy:

You have to be careful with SIMBAD. If the search finds nothing at the location requested, it just goes to the next closest object.

In this case, the star is 95.90 arc-seconds away, above to the right at the 1:00 position.
You can see the star, but you can see the Molecular Cloud in the next image.

Do you see the difference in objects?

This shows how big the entire cloud is. Shaped like a hook!

1 Like

Sorry. Thanks you all for understanding that HD 211895 is the foreground star instead of the molecular cloud.
I’m pretty new to Sinbad database. I was’nt expecting the feature to rediect you to other objects in the database.

1 Like

I understand, it’s very tricky when you’re unaware of that automatic feature.

For catalog searches you can also use VizieR around input coordinates + a chosen radius. It then gives all the objects from available catalogs in that radius starting with the nearest one

1 Like