Interesting object what could be the cause?

Behind the blue star there is a peculiar round shaped ball, would it be part of the galaxy?

https://decaps.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=87.9501&dec=-38.3126&layer=ls-dr10&zoom=15

2 Likes

Good question!

My best guess would indeed be part of the galaxy or a second galaxy, perhaps interaction

It does look odd seemingly without a nucleus…

Nice find!

1 Like

Maybe a smaller irregular galaxy interacting with the spiral? The irregular galaxy seems to be “eating” the outer arms of the spiral. Odd and cool.

2 Likes

It really is a peculiar one, There is very little to see on the VLASS Images but when you overlap with the GALAX images and unWISE images you get these two images:
GALAX image

unWISE image

I am not how to interpret the GALAX images, but there is yellowing around the fuzzy blue ball. While it is not visible in the on the unWISE image. What would this mean or does it not mean anything?

1 Like

I don’t really see much in the GALEX images here… GALEX was a UV satellite mission - it’s not uncommon to not see much from galaxies of these sizes or distances. The blue in GALEX is a far-UV, and yellow is near-UV, and they can indicate vigorous star formation, or quasars.
cheers,
dustin

1 Like

Hmm okey, then I really have no clue how to find out more about it, very interesting case :thinking:

I feel like I saw this earlier and Dustin said it was either a smaller galaxy or some material that has been pulled from the galaxy. might have misquoted though

1 Like