Interesting object - Is this a ring around a spiral galaxy?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=265.7233&dec=19.3125&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=16

As far as I’m aware, rings are light from a galaxy that’s actually behind the galaxy we’re able to see, and the only reason we’re seeing a ring is because the front galaxy is massive and possesses enough weight to bend space (and therefore light). I could be wrong, if so please correct me, I’m still learning.

It’s also my understanding that spiral galaxies don’t have enough weight to show rings. I don’t know whether that’s true or if it’s just something I heard at some point or another though. That’s why I was surprised when I saw this at any rate.

Nice! I think that’s called a “barred spiral”.

1 Like

Oh, we must have been typing at the same time.

Yes, it does have a nice bar, really well defined. I was just surprised to see it because it looked like it also had a ring.

So you reckon the “ring” is a part of the spiral arms?

:slight_smile: Ahh, you’re thinking about gravitational lensing causing rings. For single galaxies, those rings are usually smaller (the radius of the ring depends on the mass of the lens). There are a few examples of those posted in this forum. Full rings are rare because the geometry has to be just right. For this galaxy, I think the ring is where the bar is interacting with the spiral arms. It’s a nice looking galaxy!

1 Like

Understood. Thank you for clearing that up Dustin :blush: