Interesting object in ngc247?

1 Like

I think it could be a star-forming-region (SFR).
Image Credit: NASA/ESA Hubble ACS (blue: F606W, red: F814W)
Image Processing: Melina Thévenot

2 Likes

Entire ACS image shows the possible SFR to the left, more SFR at the upper right, the lower right. And a background galaxy cluster at the upper left.
Image Link

1 Like

Ah thanks. In the legacy survey DR9, this region is the kind of green you would see in a nebula, so I thought it was a planetary nebula in our own or a nearby galaxy

1 Like

Green is the r-band, so probably H-alpha emission, which appears in emission line objects, like Planetary nebulae, Star Forming Regions and Supernova Remnants.

1 Like

There is an interesting five-galaxy group just “north” of that nebula

2 Likes

There is a paper from 1975

Seems like Arp did assume that NGC247 and this chain of galaxies are a physical association, but the paper ruled this out with HI observations. The group is called Burbidge’s chain, after Burbidge et al. 1963 (figure 6 on page 17).
1 Like

How interesting- thanks Melina. Did you just remember seeing this chain from the past?

Haha. No.
Just use SIMBAD

Copy the coordinates with an appropriate search radius. After you click on search, you can display the position of the objects by clicking on “plot”.
I did choose the galaxy with the largest number of references (ESO 540-23). There I scroll down and display the references. The reference with the title “Is the chain of galaxies near NGC 247 anomalous ?” just looked right.
1 Like

Got it- thanks Melina