Interesting Dumbbell Nebula Time Sequence

Credit: @dazza1639

1 Like

It would have made more sense if each of the images were at the same scale and orientation as each other. These are all over the place! This is my attempt at orienting and scaling the images correctly…

1 Like

Agreed- makes much more sense!

I’m not sure how these images were taken and whether they are actually comparable or not? The different colour renditions make it seem that they were probably taken with different telescopes having different filters and sensitivities, so I am not sure how “real” the differences between these images actually are. They may represent more the change in telescope technology over the years rather than changes in the object itself.

1 Like

Its light is probably dominated by narrow emission lines, so how the color images are formed will make a big difference – eg looks like in the 2020 one they assigned an orange color to the stuff that is red in 2021 and 2017.

1 Like

Yes, and the sensitivity to the less bright parts of the cloud is likely different in each image, so the apparent changes to the diffuse background glow in the visible image might not be “real”, if you see what I mean?

1 Like

Yes, these images look like they were taken with different sensors, color palettes, and possibly different telescopes