I can't believe you people aren't losing your minds over the new JWST images!

What in the wide world of sports is a goin’ on here?
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 2.20.47 PM

Click for hi-res

2 Likes

1 Like

they are pretty but to me they are more a sign of things to come than anything, I must say my expectations were higher :wink: but I like the memes haha

I’m more intrigued by that one that Ine found… :wink:

But to not derail, there is this one too

But I’m a little confused as to how spectroscopy determines like H2O - ie any molecule, could anyone help me understand that, instead of a specific element. I understand excited electrons release photons at specific wavelengths, so how does that tell you about molecules instead of individual elements?

The second thing - you left out the best picture

could be an album cover haha

A couple other points, check out the tail of stephans quintet what is going on there haha

And now, lets see like all those red dots we see in this image, ahh it might be hard to see, but are those red giant stars?

Then the last thing sorry for all the comments, but the most impressive thing about stephans quintet to me is the filaments of interaction, to see those jellyfish like tendrils, scales beyond human imagination, stretching out across spacetime… ahh it is really nice sometimes to be alive, I technically don’t know also why those filaments are upward pointing instead of down toward the merger, okay so I guess they were sorta cool :wink:

This one is also sorta cool, haha I know I said lastly, but its at the bottom left of the quintet

Those red knots… I just wish I knew more about what I was seeing, but yeah okay fine they are beautiful, but I wanted moreee

2 Likes

About molecular lines (or molecular bands). I’m no expert, but basically in addition to electrons changing levels, you can get molecules switching between different rotational and vibrational modes. It sounds like vibrational modes are what give you IR radiation. That’s sort of like the length of the bonds between the O and the two Hs getting longer and shorter.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/General_Astronomy/Molecular_Emission_and_Absorption

1 Like

Don’t be sorry- that’s what we’re doing here and your comments are interesting!

“A new view of M74 comes by way of Gabriel Brammer, associate professor at the Cosmic Dawn Center in the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Denmark. As Brammer explains on Twitter, he downloaded processed raw data already collected by JWST’s Mid- Infrared Instrument (MIRI) and then compiled the views from three out of MIRI’s nine filters to produce a new view of the galaxy.”

Yeah I was wondering what you guys were excited about that JWST had released? Did anything particularly capture your interest or change your understanding? lol im going to leave this here

(seen on twitter from Jim’s rabbit hole)

Judy Schmidt

And thanks Dustin - So a lot of holes in my understanding still. I still am a little confused as to what happens when molecules absorb light and vibrate or shake as you’ve presented…and if moving charges produce electromagnetic radiation, like do only threshold movements produce the radiation? Like lets say I move an electron a thousanth of an angrstom… do I get a photon out?

With the absorption thing okay I mean I guess its like when you play an E on the piano, all the other Es will resonate, so the energy causes, goes into, and gets stuck in those vibrations? We can sense the interveining clouds in WASP-96bs atmosphere by measuring the light from the yellow dwarf as it passes through the exoplanets atmosphere and and seeing the absorption lines caused by molecular vibrations. So less flux than expected at certain wavelengths that we know are basically sound vibrations of waters dipole due to light interaction. Idk I still am struggling to understand a quantum mechanical description of those vibrations. Like why they are occuring.

Need to do more reading on infrared spectroscopy…I was trying to compare those molecules vibrating to the photoelectric effect, but my brother said thats different - but I thought that electrons couldn’t “gain additional energy” without being given threshold quanta. Like those molecules resonating means that the electron bonds are getting closer and farther sortof … and apparently this happens when they are dowsed with light that matches those vibrational modes… and its related to the structure of the molecule rather than emission and absorption of the individual elements? egh

It took me on a huge tangent of like why does red light bend less than purple light in a prism (when purple light is more energetic) and why gamma rays pass right through prisms instead of getting bent at all, and also at the same time radio waves passing through matter. It seems strange that all of these things are true. I think I know about gamma waves - they don’t even see the matter as far as I can tell, the wave is smaller than interatomic distances? But again I’m not sure if that’s the way to look at it either.

Kinda confused on all points :wink:

But my father told me to read QED and it might have the answer …

But anyways,
The widening gyre of M74… does anyone know why those dark splotches get tinier as we go inward? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That M74 image – wow. Especially fascinating is the hole in the middle – what’s going on there!!

About IR spectroscopy – definitely not my area, but I gather that the energy involved there is exciting/de-exciting the bonds between the O and the H’s in water. If you think of the chemical bond as like a spring, then you can have a standing wave on that spring, and it’ll only be resonant at discrete frequencies. But the molecule is sort of bendy so instead of sharp lines it becomes broader bands of energies that can be emitted or absorbed. That’s my very hand-wavey understanding.

cheers,
dustin

I don’t know about the center. Does anyone know how many parsecs wide the hole is? I found this in a paper about NGC 628 - M74: they are talking about the metallicity gradient

We found an inversion of this gradient in the central ∼1 kpc region, where a somewhat younger stellar population is present within a ring at this radius. This structure is associated with a circumnuclear star-forming region at ∼500 pc, also found in similar spiral galaxies.

II find it fascinating that on either end of the portion in the center, you have two pockets of idk spiral pitch angle…

But I am sad because there is an ultra-luminous x-ray source that is like hypothesized to be an intermediate mass black hole, which are very rare… I wish I could see the dust around that

Right here

I wish they had like zoomed out !

JWST has been struck by 6 micrometeoroids since launch.
This appears to be within the NASA/ESA anticipated level of strikes.
Webb telescope suffered ‘uncorrectable damage’ in micrometeoroid hit, NASA report says

Oh no, micrometeorite damage… I hope that doesn’t create packet loss. No one likes packet loss! C3… wait till it hits C4 :boom:

Maybe its from that comet you found… :slight_smile:

their nircam shoulda told them how sandy that lagrangian was 🫠

LOL yes definitely comet debris

Full res link for Cartwheel Galaxy. Link is on left hand side of page.

This might be dumb but why is the cartwheel galaxy and the other one here teaming with hydrocarbons and it seems most galaxies in the background, but these two almost entirely absent?

Also, I find something weird. So I’ve read that the cartwheel galaxy has an active galactic nucleus. So does anyone know why it is invisible in X-Ray and UV for that matter, especially with this collision theory. Also I see people on the internet declaring it has a blackhole in the center, but does anyone know any details about it? Like its mass? I can’t really find any evidence for it, but its weird that everyone declares it still

However it does have the most mumber of ultra-luminous x-ray sources, (I think, I read that in a paper somewhere), when I can I wanna overlay it over these JWST and see what we find haha:)

But hey, one last thing, so I was wondering if someone could point out the globular clusters in the James Webb Image-I’ve read and heard it pointed out we can see individual stars, I guess surely that would mean the globular clusters should be highly evident, like could I count the globular clusters in the cartwheel galaxy using this image?

1 Like