Help Please on Possible Supernova

I was browsing the DES DR1 survey and came across a galaxy that looked unique with a possible flash from a nova. I tried to look up the time exposures in that survey but there were none so I switched to the DR9 survey and it shows the following time exposures:
https://www.legacysurvey.org/viewer/exposures/?ra=27.0515&dec=-64.3491&layer=ls-dr9
The problem is, when I try to go back to the original image of the galaxy, the system automatically takes me back to the original search location and not my target galaxy. Any help would be appreciated getting me back to either the DES DR1 or DR9 survey is appreciated.

I found it manually again but any shortcut would be appreciated.
https://www.legacysurvey.org/viewer?ra=27.0522&dec=-64.3486&layer=des-dr1&zoom=14
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 4.44.36 PM

Using your browser’s Back button should just work. But if not, observe that in the URL you posted, it has the “ra=” and “dec=” coordinates. So if you edit the URL and drop the “exposures/” part of it, it should take you to your target location.

1 Like

Thanks Dustin. That’s what I unsuccessfully tried to explain. Back button takes me back to the original piece of space as I had clicked on another users link before scanning, so the back click took me back to that link.
If anyone can tell me if this photo group looks like a possible nova based on the timestamps it would be much appreciated. Since the notable luminosity of the object lasted around 1.5 years is that atypical?

C’mon give it to me straight. I can take it.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 9.37.01 PM

Hmm, that’s odd, normally the browser’s back button really does take you back to your previous state, rather than reloading the URL you were previously visiting.

In the exposure list, notice that we list them in order first by band (g, r, z), then by date. In this set, what I see is: in the g exposures, nothing. In the r band, I do see it in all 6 exposures, spanning about 3 years. (In the last exposure, it’s hard to see, but I think because that image is particularly blurry, so it becomes harder to see.) Then in the z band, I see it in all 9 exposures. So I don’t think this is a transient source, sorry!

cheers,
–dustin

Thanks Dustin- helpful for future!