Gravitational Lens?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=40.7628&dec=-0.1001&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=16

1 Like

looks as though it’s three different objects that give the appearance of an arc, so I’d say it isn’t lensing

1 Like

Welcome! It is catalogued as a lensing candidate by Huang et al., 2021 (@xhuang , I believe) and a machine learning program from Jacobs et al., 2019. However, as Ed said, it does seem a little lumpy. All in all, I would not be sure either way; it wouldn’t be shocking if it was a lens and it wouldn’t be shocking if it wasn’t. Definitely not strong lensing though.

2 Likes

Nice find! Yes, it’s a grade A lens candidate reported in Huang+ 2021 (NeuraLens - Lens Candidates: Huang et al. 2021). The blue image is probably a lensed arc. The lumpiness is likely due to a “knot” in the background (lensed) galaxy that is triply lensed (if we ever get high resolution image of this system, we may see a fourth image on the other side). There is also a small reddish galaxy just above the main lens (the big orange blob), which is likely a small foreground galaxy (based on photo-z).

2 Likes

Ah thank you very much! The idea of a knot is intriguing but it makes a lot of sense.

1 Like