Galactic Jets?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=350.7100&dec=11.9886&layer=ls-dr9&zoom=13

The “jets” don’t seem perpendicular to the galactic plane so it’s likely a disturbance whisp, but it almost looks like jets…

1 Like

While the plumes do resemble the structure of a jet, these are likely stellar plumes. Sadly I don’t believe we’ve seen any visible-wavelength jets at such a size, luminosity and distance from the core of a host galaxy before. Major reasoning - for the jet to have been able to maintain such a narrow structure over such long distances, either an unimaginable amount of power had to have been admitted from a smbh-gone-quasar that lasted wayyyyy too long (there would be significant evidence for this in this style of galaxy’s past but there is none) or there was almost no intervening material between the core and the end of the jet which, given the size of the jet and type of galaxy, is also extremely unlikely

2 Likes

Thanks very much Andromeda- very interesting and educational

1 Like

I’m here to help! :slight_smile: Stay curious, and good hunting!

1 Like

Looks convincing though, symmetrical & centered on the nucleus.

Perhaps the galaxy at 8 o’clock is involved.

1 Like

Residuals is somewhat kind of interesting
Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 12.38.23 PM

1 Like

Definitely, I checked those too thats how I got the symmetry (other side much more obvious in Residuals)

But also perfectly aligned with the other galaxy…

1 Like