Could be lensing?

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=129.1606&dec=25.1395&layer=ls-dr10&zoom=15&const

6 Likes

that’s lensing ~ good spot :+1:

3 Likes

Some lovely quasar lensing there. Nice spot

3 Likes

Nothing in VLASS, I don’t it counts

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=129.1613&dec=25.1368&layer=vlass1.2&zoom=14

1 Like

Not all quasars have to be radio loud. This one I thought was a quasar due to its high brightness here despite the distance. I have since double checked and it is indeed a quasar.

1 Like

No. This is not the lensed quasar, it is on the other side of the larger edge-on galaxy, also the lensed galaxy is not in SIMBAD database located 84.37 " away. Simbad might have thrown you off.

DOH!
I should’ve known that 10% have little radio emission.

1 Like

According to vizier, there is a quasar lensing source (i.e. lensing by a quasar) from two catalogues at this location. There are also 22 different sources listing this as a quasar.

1 Like

The central source is not in VizieR listing as a quasar. The quasar is located at a distance of about 85" away. Note that the default search radius is 10"., nearly the same position as it is in SIMBAD.

For the avoidance of doubt we are referring to the object (not in the image of this topic) at 129.17833, 25.13417? Because if so it is definitely listed as a quasar. I agree, the galaxy in the photo above is neither lensing nor a quasar.

William is most likely correct. Vizier does place objects off of the actual target. The quasar is this object at RA,Dec = 129.1780, 25.1346 is within 10" from the actual lens.

Yes, I understand. As I have said above, the system I am referring to is not the one in the photo at the top of this page. The photo at the top of this subject is NOT a lens NOR a quasar. The system I am referring to in all comments is the one circled and linked here. The system circled contains the quasar and the (albeit faint) lensing.

Can you give me the quasar reference to this object please?

The one mentioned here. It is in SIMBAD as a quasar and there are 22 Vizier references to it as a quasar and two as being a quasar lensing system.

1 Like

Got it