Brightest objects on the map

Good Day All, I love this map! I zoomed out as far as possible to find the brightest objects that I could see on the map in both “sections” and then zoomed in on them both, and they appear the same, like some sort of distorted “digital bubble effect” or something that I’ve never seen before. Is it a glitch of some sort?

It is not a glitch I think it is the telescope’s camera. Whenever it takes a picture of a bright star it does something weird to the lens.

1 Like

yea I thought so, just had to ask to be sure. After i found the first two that I was talking about, I began to explore and look around for other interesting things and kept on finding many more of these, so they appear to be common occurrences.

1 Like

its a reflection of the primary mirror of the telescope, you can see the secondary mirror and the things that hold it in place (and is the reason why many stars appear to have 4 spikes coming out of it) i think

1 Like

Yep, this is the star Arcturus, one of the brightest in the sky.

1 Like

It is?? I wish the distortion could be removed. Since its one of the brightest, is the distortion due to its luminosity?

Yes, it’s just so bright that it overflows all the image pixels. The rectangular features are the edges of individual chips in the camera. The round off-center features are due to internal reflections in the camera – light bouncing back and forth between different lenses (even though they have very good anti-reflection coatings).

3 Likes