Beautiful spiral galaxy

https://www.legacysurvey.org//viewer/?ra=36.9537&dec=0.2502&layer=hsc-dr2&zoom=14
It (red dot near the spiral arm) could also be an asteroid/supernova in this image.

1 Like

The green dot is definitely something transient (supernova or asteroid)… I’m not sure which red dot you mean, but my guess is the fairly bright one at the bottom of that cutout image is a star – if you zoom out a little you’ll see a few nearby ones the same color. Transients will be pure red/green/blue because they’re only captured through one filter. For the HSC layer, we don’t have the individual exposures, so it’s difficult to follow up.

cheers,
–dustin

2 Likes

This is the red dot that I meant, could this be a transient?
HSC DR2 Image:

Legacy Survey DR9 Image:

SDSS Image:

Uh, you don’t happen to be red-green colorblind by any chance? That dot is definitely green :confused:

1 Like

Yes, it is green not red. It could be a #supernova candidate. But again… in HSC DR2. :weary: It is difficult to obtain fits files from (data) from HSC. I am not familiar with that. In DECaLS DR9 there are two ‘single image cutouts’ but fom the same date. Not enough to determine wether is is a #supernova candidate or not and there could be an earlier date in the HSC DR2 data.

Ine :stars::dizzy:

1 Like

If I squint I can sort-of-see a red smudge just north of the green dot. That would be very faint – HSC is very sensitive, so something that is barely-visible in HSC is definitely not going to appear in the other surveys.

I think this is legit transient phenomenon or a glitch. It’s bright enough in HSC that it should be visible in other surveys, but it’s not visible in other surveys only in HSC, must be something going on there. I’m planning to post this in a GZ thread so someone can report it.

If you mean the bright dot, then yeah, it definitely looks like an SN. But its definitely green…

1 Like

First thing to do would be to check that it’s not an asteroid… but that would require tracking down the individual HSC exposure, not super easy.

1 Like

Agree, it’s not super easy.